Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day!

What a day! I was telling my husband earlier that it's so weird to be now celebrating Mother's Day not only as a daughter to my mother, but as a mother to my daughter! I wouldn't have it any other way. It's such a special feeling to be recognized on a beautiful Sunday every year from the ones you care for the most. Mother's are truly superhero's and at the end of some days (or the beginnings of some early mornings), I even surprise myself!
Growing up, my mom did EVERYTHING!  From cooking breakfast for us early before school, to dropping us off to school when the weather was bad, or waiting with us at the bus stop, parent teacher conferences, delicious homemade Haitian meals for dinner every single day, staying up with us when we were sick, getting us medicine/last minute doctor appointments, dropping off our projects to school so we didn't have to carry them around, shopping with all three of us for back to school clothes, making every choir concert, track meet, baseball/softball game, signing consent forms or detentions and standing up for us when we needed it. Even as an adult, once I had Ava, she came over every single day to help me, from laundry to dishes to making sure I got a nap in during the day.
Now that I have a child of my own, I can see the daily sacrifices seen and unseen that are made. And a lot of the time, they go unnoticed because it just seems "normal". In all honesty there are days when I feel like I am at my wits end and just want to lock myself in my room, but I can't because no matter how trying,  tiring, frustrating, and repetitive motherhood gets, this is what I prayed for and as soon as we put Ava down to bed, I miss her and I'm ready to do it all over again the next day!
For every unexpected late night, boo boo kiss, fever reducing snuggles, meal cooked, tear soaked shoulder, snotty nose wipe, tummy ache, hospital visit, made up bed time story, make believe role play, pooped stained surprises, emergency outfit change, nursery rhyme sing along, Umizoomi marathon, or crumbled cookie found on the bottom of your purse, you are amazing!
Cheers to mother's all over the world from birth mothers to step mothers to guardians, to role models, you are loved and appreciated! Happy Mother's Day! And a very special first-time Happy Mother's Day to my big sister Wensa! God is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment