Monday, October 15, 2012

10.11.12

My 28th birthday was this past Thursday, October 11. I'm not too big on my birthday only because we really never celebrated them growing up. You know, a "happy birthday" and maybe a card; then the day would go on as usual with the occasional family member fulfilling their obligatory birthday greeting. But over the past few years, I have been able to celebrate my birthday in different ways. Last year my husband Nate and a few friends planned an "Awesomely 80's" birthday party where I donned an extravagantly horrendous teal and sequined evening gown. Everyone dressed like a NKOTB (if you were born in the 80's no need for me to spell that out; you should know!) video and we had a house party and danced all night.
This year's birthday was alot more low key with selling the house and moving on the horizon! As my birthday was approaching, I had alot of time to reflect on age 27 and what the past year was like; that led me to make some birthday resolutions to bring in the new age. In a nutshell, age 27 was a year to shed . I researched shed online; The Free Dictionary defines the word shed as follows:
shed 1v. shed, shed·ding, sheds
v.tr.
1. To cause to pour forth.
2. To diffuse or radiate; send forth or impart.
3. To repel without allowing penetration.
4. a. To lose by natural process.
b. To rid oneself of (something not wanted or needed):
 
That truly resonated with me because that is exactly what I spent my year doing. Getting rid of things, habits, people, and ways of thinking that were not needed. I was finally at a place in my life where I knew exactly what and who I needed to reach my optimal growth potential. Things were changing so rapidly that I almost felt like I was going mad. As tiring as it was, I am so glad that I lived out on a limb and had the support I needed when it came down to it. Through tears, worry, and stress, I learned alot about myself. Some good, and some not so good. These were strengths that I was able to play up and weaknesses that I could strengthen.
The year of 28 will be my best year yet, and so will every year thereafter.One of my birthday resolutions is that I want to try new things and get over any fear that I may possess. I am absolutely terrified of water,  I don't know how to swim and I believe that I almost drowned once, (Nate, stop cracking up, I really did!!!!) but I made sure that I got into a pool on my birthday and tried, as nerve racking as it was (trust me, I was a ball of nerves!) it was well worth it! I can't be an asset to others if I am not an asset to myself. There are absolutely no excuses for me to use anymore. Baby steps are better than no steps, so if I have to crawl to get over it, than so be it!
So far, 28 has come in like a lion, so many amazing things, people, and opportunities have literally come along since the age change, so no complaints here; that's what I prayed for, so I shouldn't be surprised! He did say "ask and you will receive" so I'm asking, and sharing! Is it time for you to do some shedding? Either way, it's coming, it's just better to be prepared so that you can get familiar and adjusted to your new skin and atmosphere! He did the ultimate shedding, which was His blood. God is love.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment