Monday, October 8, 2012

A Change is Gonna Come

I'm baaaack! (Lol, I'm impressed with myself to be honest!) This weekend was nice and relaxed. Nothing extra adventurous transpired, but alot of the time, that's a great thing! My Acer tablet stopped working, and I felt a bit handicapped. It seemed like I no longer knew exactly how to use a laptop to check all of my emails, blog, social media, and column. It was so crazy to me how much I personally depend on my phone and tablet, when I thought I didn't. I'm so sad. But it won't last too long. Me and Lauren actually went and helped my mom pick out her FIRST touchscreen Android phone......uh-oh! Tee hee! It made me laugh, it was so cute when we were helping her how hard she was touching the screen, assaulting it really. Ha! Love you mom.
So, one thing that is on my mind is "change". I always hear people saying "I've changed" or "He/she has changed" and alot of the time, it seems to be a negative thing. I don't think that it is. We take other people changing so personally.We are so consumed with conforming to whatever image that we feel is the most acceptable in whatever niche in society we are trying to be a part of, that we never were ourselves to begin with, usually well into adulthood. So now we are stuck with "faux" relationships and stretching relationships that were only meant to be seasonal.
Growing up being first generation American; it was already such a culture shock to be in a Haitian household and being surrounded by American culture/traditions. On top of that, my older (but again, younger looking) sister, and older brother and I went to an all white school system. Here were Haitian kids, surrounded by white kids that wanted to know about black culture; we wanted to know about it too!
So change really does become hard when you finally wake up one morning or come home from school or work one day feeling unfulfilled and honestly; fake. So you strive for making that "change", whatever or wherever that might be, when all the while you really are finally accepting and coming into yourself. I have found that over time, people already have preconceived notions of how they want you to act and what role they want you to play in their lives. When the boat gets rocked, it is hard to support if they never really knew the real person inside.
There were (and still are) so many things that I wanted to do growing up and into becoming an adult that I just didn't do for fear of everyone else's reaction. Some big, some small. Once I realized that as long as I am OK with decisions that I make spiritually and in regards to my main ministry; my family, everything and everybody else that didn't edify me fell to the wayside! It is scary, liberating, and allows you to move on to bigger things that not only involves you, but evolves you. Change does a body good, life is way too short to live scared. Go on and change!!!! Sam Cooke said it best "A Change is Gonna Come". It's my season of change, this is my formal announcement. God is love.

1 comment:

  1. That "this is my formal announcement" shouted me! In case you ever wondered.....I'm extremely proud of you and i love you! Excited about what's to come!

    ReplyDelete